Monday, December 28, 2009

August

I didn’t set up a tent, again. Instead, I slept in my sleeping bag, on the picnic table. I woke up around 5:30, time to go.

Was at the West Yellowstone gate by 6:00, and breezed through. The plan was to get a Yellowstone fishing license at Old Faithful, then fish my way up the Gibbon River to Gardiner, where I’d stop in at Park’s fly shop, and look for campgrounds for my group. But the nice older man at the gate informed me the general store at Old Faithful doesn’t open till eight, nor did the road from Madison Junction to Gardiner, as a result of road construction. I’d have to do some touristing.


I was at Old Faithful by 7:30, and milled around snapping pictures of the geysers, hot springs, and other features. Didn’t see anything fascinating in the way of wildlife, nothing big, just some ravens and eagles. Got my license and a bite to eat, then headed north.

I didn’t wind up stopping at the Gibbon, instead fishing the Gardiner River at Sheepeater cliffs. Nothing spectacular, just some little brook trout. I did get to watch a cow and calf elk for quite some time, though, which was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment